It's my 22nd birthday n owhh gosh...im gettin old d sia! It's all in the game, it's ok~ haha
Last year I had my gang of coursemates to celebrate my 21st birthday..it was a real birthday bash!
How I got the name Gary Arwin...!
hehe, kind of funny but im proud how it originated..
I popped the question to my parents when I was in my primary 4 I guess...I went like..."Mummy papa, why u guys named me Gary Arwin?"....and the whole story begin...;)
Ok, the name GARY was actually given by my dad while my mum gave me the name ARWIN
How Gary crossed my dad's mind?...haha, it's like tis
I was born in the year 1986...it's the year where the world cup was held in Mexico....England took part in it and the great player by the name of Gary Lineker craved his name establishing himself as the top scorer in the tournament with 10 goals in 6 games. Woowwww!
And eventually I touched my feet on the earth on 1986 after the world cup and my dad named me after him as Gary Lineker was one of the best player at that point of time and my dad is football crazy just like me!. Hold on, I WAS NAMED AFTER A GREAT FOOTBALLER?! ...Waaalllaaaooo....im very very happy n proud of it sia!...my mum didnt like the idea tho' but, my dad had the last say..haha. Now u know how I got into football ryte! lol....
Some facts about him...if ur interested that is :p
Born: 30 November 1960 (Leicester)
Clubs: 1976-1975 Leicester City (194games, 95 goals)
1985-1986 Everton (41 games, 30 goals)
1986-1989 Barcelona (99 games, 44 goals)
1989-1992 Tottenham Hotspur (105 games, 67 goals)
1992-1994 Nagoya Grampus 8 (Japan)
International debut: 1984 v Scotland
International record: 80 games, 48 goals
Honours: 1980 Second division Championship(Leicester)
1986 English Footballer of the Year
1986 World Cup Top Scorer (6 goals)
1988 Spanish Cup (Barcelona)
1989 European Cup-Winners Cup (Barcelona)
1991 FA Cup (Tottenham Hotspur)
- Goalscoring hero turned TV presenter, Gary Linker is England's second highestgoalscorer, with 48 goals, just one behind Bobby Charlton. He had a chance to equal the record against Brazil in 1992 but his penalty wassaved.
- Lineker is Englands leading World Cup goalscorer, though with 10 in total. 6 of these in came in Mexico and four in Italy.
- The first of Linekers five England hat-tricks came in October 1985 in aWorld Cup qualifier against Turkey.
- He is the only player to have scored all four England goals in a match,and has done it in two 4-2 away wins. The first was in 1987 againstSpain and the second in 1991 against Malaysia.
- At club level Lineker had to wait until he joined Barcelona before winningany major honours.
- In his last internaional, against Sweden in 1992, Lineker was substitutedby Graham Taylor in favour of Alan Smith. Engalnd went on to losethe match and went out of the European Chamionships...
- Lineker was not booked once throughout his career.
- At Grampus 8, Lineker worked with Arsene Wenger, who has gone on to greatsuccess at Arsenal.
- Since retiring Gary Lineker has become a regular BBC football presenter,a captain on the quiz show They think its all over and has alsoadvertised Walker's Crisps (he even had a flavour - Salt and Lineker -named after him) !!!
Ok, and how Arwin came by?
as u know, Arwin was named by my mum...she had the Hindu background hence she gave me a hindu name as well... according to her, it originated from some ancient sami named Arvind...and she did some modification and it became Arwin.haha, nice ryte? :P my mum didn't really elaborate more bout it but I found this out in thinkbabynames.com -> The boy's name Arwin \a-rwin, ar-win\ is a variant of Arvin (English, Old German), and the meaning of Arwin is "people's friend". Arwin is a very rare male first name and a very rare surname....:)
So here the morale of the story...if my dad can name me after a footballer, why can't I name my son(if I have any,haha) after a footballer too like Cristiano or Ronaldo?!...hehe, im certainly gonna do that!...lol :)